Summertime is finally here which also means outdoor entertaining. Making your deck, porch or patio feel like an indoor room is much more inviting and comfortable for you and your guests.
It’s probably been a few months since you’ve been able to put the time and effort into sprucing up your backyard, so read below for quick, inexpensive tips to improve your garden and/or backyard and making your outdoors feel like they’re part of the indoors.
- Open French doors out to lounge areas, like a sunroom or screened porch. You can also add doors that lead to an outdoor dining area.
- Outdoor decor is most popular in neutral colors, so add a splash of color by throwing some bright pillows on your couch outside or finding a unique, aqua blue lamp for example. Stick to warm tones in the summer and switch to cool tones when the season changes into fall.
- If you need that special something to convert your backyard into a nighttime party spot, add a string of party lights in between some trees. It instantly creates that spark that you’re seeking.
- To keep the garden in your backyard looking gorgeous every year, plant perennials whenever possible.
- Planting plenty of nectar-filled plants will ensure that butterflies and other beautiful winged creatures visit your garden regularly.
- Since most flowers tend to disappear when the night sky arrives, keep white and other pale shaded flowers near walkways and other gathering areas. The moonlight bounces right off of the white petals and brings light to the yard.
- Stepping-stones let guests know where to go if you have a maze of plants in your garden. They also help avoid compacting soil while pruning and weeding. Because of the large variety at home improvement retailers, you can find unique pieces of stone to add to your backyard.
- Add dramatic lighting to illuminate designated walkways and to highlight the focal points of your garden and/or backyard. For example, putting light on an arch in the garden creates a dramatic effect and highlights the piece.
- Don’t have the money to spend on pricey garden lights? Add a mirror that overlooks sunnier parts of the garden and essentially brings light into the darker part of the garden.
- Don’t place chairs more than eight feet away from each other to maximize ease of conversation.
These simple words of advice will breathe life back into your backyard. Updating your backyard using these tips will make it more modern and well kept. As always, keep everything to a minimum; adding too much of anything is overkill. If your garden has too many varieties of plants, it may appear overgrown instead of diverse. Keep an editing eye on your backyard and remember to add focal points wherever possible so that your eye doesn’t scatter.
Enjoy your updated and modern garden and have fun entertaining!
House Plans and More has over 17,000 house plans and project plans to choose from in a variety of styles and sizes. Start searching for your dream home now.
Here are some related articles:
Save this article to:
back to top