Some homeowners have exactly the home they want. Just the right number of rooms, open space, outdoor living- it's the whole package for the whole family. Yet, something just isn't perfect anymore.
Every homeowner feels the itch to remodel at some point. In today's economy, remodeling is the perfect solution to fixing up one's home without breaking down the budget. Whether small tasks or large undertakings, there is a remodel project for every home:
Energy Efficiency –Energy efficiency is building quite a buzz among homeowners. Some are looking for solutions to cutting down bills while others are seeking out a "greener" lifestyle. Whatever the motivation, making your home more energy efficient is a great project that ranges from the very simple to the more complex.
Simple solutions include:
- switching out old lightbulbs for longer, brighter burning CFLs
- installing a programmable thermostat to cut back on wasted resources and finances
- weather stripping windows and doors
Some larger energy efficient projects could be:
- installing entirely new windows and doors
- re-roofing or making major repairs to roofing
- insulating areas that are often neglected (attics and garages)
- replacing siding with new materials that are tougher and more insulated
- all new appliances with Energy Star ratings
For many of these energy efficiency projects, the government is offering tax credits, making them even more affordable. The US Department of Energy website or a tax advisor can help homeowners make the right choices for their energy efficient renovations.
Outdoor Living – Always popular with homeowners, outdoor living spaces are great ways to invest in your home. Creating your own backyard oasis allows homeowners to go out while staying in – overall much easier on the bank account and typically just as much fun. Outdoor living remodeling can vary from simple patios and yards to completely decked-out meditationgardens and built-in pools. What is done with your space is entirely up to you!
Kitchen & Bath
– The home is often a family's safe space - a way to hide from the ever-busy world. Kitchen and bath remodeling extends that comfort even further. While you only need a few things to have a functional kitchen, going gourmet is a popular remodel.
New technologies, spacious work stations, and gorgeous materials are all being combined to create kitchens any chef would dream of. Bathrooms are no longer simple showers and vanities, but rather, luxurious spa retreats just steps away from bed. Updating either or both of these spaces will certainly turn up the comfort levels in any home.
Old Rooms, New Purposes – Many homeowners discover great potential in rooms once lost to clutter and storage.Guest rooms used to bear this burden- anything that didn't have a place to go was stored somewhere in this rarely used space. Currently there is a trend among homeowners to reclaim that lost space for something much more personal and useful:
- Playrooms are popular among busy families who want to keep the house tidy but let the kids loose with their toys.
- Hobby Rooms - an entire room designated for the safe keeping of projects in-progress, yoga and meditation, or whatever other pursuits require a special place.
- Man Caves are the new den. This designated space typically has a decor all its own, designed with the man of the house and his hobbies in mind.
- Home Theaters, Game Rooms, and Libraries are perfect for families who want a special place to gather together informally.
The possibilities are endless for these old rooms turned new. The most important detail is deliberately setting up the space for a special purpose. Make it something special!
Wow Factor – The Wow Factor remodeling is made up of all those tiny details that can really make an impact on the appearance of your home. Little touches like new paint, rearranging furniture, a tile backsplash or a new mirror- all of these and many more can really garner attention. Look around your living spaces. What small touches can be incorporated to make the space feel new?
It's important to remember that remodeling little bits in a number of spaces can be just as impressive and even more rewarding than one larger project. However, there is nothing wrong with undertaking something big; either approach is going to yield results. Just be aware of your budget and time constraints when looking for projects to start. You want to ensure that they will be completed without causing additional stress. Have a project in mind but the timing just isn't right? Make a note and set it aside for another time- there's no rush! After all, homes are really always a work in progress.
House Plans and More has over 17,000 house plans and project plans to choose from in a variety of styles and sizes. Start searching for your dream home now.
Here are some related articles:
Save this article to:
back to top