Design America offers plans in several paper and digital formats. While it may be tempting to purchase the least expensive item, keep in mind that house plans are not returnable and cannot be resold. So, answer these questions before buying plans:
1) How quickly do you need the plans?
2) How many changes do you want to make to the plans?
3) What format does your builder and/or local building authority require?
After answering the questions above, it will be easier to determine what type of plan package suits your specific needs. But, here are some further questions to ask yourself before selecting a plan package:
Do you need the plans ASAP? If this is the case, then order the PDF file format. You can receive a PDF file within 24 hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm CST) via email and save money on shipping costs.
Do you need to make changes to the plans? Then, choose from the 3 different plan packages listed below. A CAD Package is for someone who has the ability to draw in a CAD program (your builder, or a design professional) and it’s ideal for making major changes to the plan. A PDF file format gives you the ability to modify the plan with the help of a local design professional and then make copies, and Reproducible Masters are 1-Set of plans printed on bond or vellum paper that can be modified if you have minor changes and copies made as needed.
PDF File Format
Still not sure what you need? Then, read the following article, What Type of Modifiable Plan Is Right For You? This article describes the most common changes made to plans, and if those changes are considered minor or major. This article will help you choose the correct modifiable plan option.
Do You Need To Make Little To No Changes To The Plans? Then, choose either the minimum amount of plans for building, which is 5-Sets of blueprints, or order 8-Sets so you have enough copies for everyone involved in the building of your home.
Still Not Sure What You Need? If you’re serious about a house design, but want to see it in closer detail, then buy a 1-Set plan package. However, you can’t build from a 1-Set since it’s marked “Not for Construction,” so it’s truly a study set. But, you can upgrade to another plan package and pay only the difference when you’re finally ready to build.
If you want further information about each type of plan packages offered, then read the full plan descriptions below.
Note: Availability of blueprint packages for a specific home can be found on the home plan’s web page. Plan options are subject to change without notice.
Important: Always check with your local building department to find out what is required in your area BEFORE purchasing plans. The right of building only one structure from these plans is licensed exclusively to the buyer. In order to build a second or multiple dwelling(s), you must purchase another plan package. Learn how to receive discounts on purchasing multiple plans through our Builder’s Advantage Program.
PLAN PACKAGE DESCRIPTIONS:
- Complete set of construction drawings in an electronic file format.
- Needed if you have a significant amount of changes to make to the plans.
- Comes with a one-time build copyright release that allows your local design professional to modify the plans electronically with their CAD programs.
- Allows your local design professional to electronically draw changes quicker and cheaper than making changes on paper based plans.
- Allows you to print the desired number of copies to provide to all parties involved in helping you build the plans.
*Most CAD files can be sent to you within 24 hours (Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4:30pm CST) via email and save you shipping costs. CAD files that cannot be sent via email can be shipped to you in 1-2 days via UPS or FEDEX express for $67.
PDF FILE FORMAT
- Complete set of construction drawings in an electronic file format.
- Comes with a one-time build copyright release that allows you to make changes to the plans.
- Grants you printing flexibility by allowing you to print the size and number of sets you need.
- All PDFs can be sent to you within 24 hours (Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4:30pm CST) via email and save you shipping costs.
Note: These are not CAD files and cannot be altered electronically.
- Complete set of construction drawings printed on reproducible paper that can be modified.
- Needed if you wish to make minor design changes.
- Comes with a one-time build copyright release that allows you to draw changes on the plans.
- Allows your builder or local design professional to make the necessary drawing changes without the major expense of redrawing the plans.
- Grants you the ability to make as many copies needed for all parties involved in helping you build the plans.
- 8 complete sets of construction drawings.
- Standard number of the full detailed blueprint sets.
- One set for you, your mortgage lender, local building department, general contractor and all subcontractors working on foundation, electrical, plumbing, heating/air conditioning, carpentry work, etc.
- 5 complete sets of construction drawings.
- Minimum number of the full detailed blueprint sets needed.
- One set for you, your mortgage lender, local building department, general contractor and all subcontractors will share the other set.
- If you find that you have lost track of the sets, since multiple subcontractors and tradespeople use them, there are additional sets available for $50 within 90 days of purchase date. **See exchange policy below.
1-SET STUDY PACKAGE
- 1-set study package allows you to study the design in detail and obtain an estimate to build from a local contractor. This set is considered a study set and is marked “Not for Construction.” It is a copyright violation to reproduce blueprints.
Please note: Plans are not returnable and each plan package includes a license to build the structure only one time, except a 1-set study package. The 1-set study package is marked “Not For Construction” and cannot be used for construction.
Additionally, these pre-drawn plans are not sealed/stamped by a professional engineer or architect, as may be required by certain building departments. If that is a requirement for your locale, you will need to take your plans to a local engineer or architect for review and sealing/stamping. The professional who is sealing/stamping the plans must be licensed in the state in which you intend to build. We recommend that all changes made to the plans also be review by a licensed design professional. Some locations have very strict engineering requirements, and you will need to ensure your plans comply with your local codes. A few examples include earthquake-prone areas along the Pacific Coast; hurricane risk areas along the Southeast and Gulf Coasts; and areas of high population density, so any area of the country may be subject to stricter codes, not just coastal areas. If you are building in these areas or have learned your area has stricter codes, it is most likely you will need to hire a state licensed structural engineer to provide analysis as required by your local building authority. If you aren’t sure, most building departments have a handout listing all of the requirements for obtaining a building permit.
Since plans and cost to build estimates ordered from houseplansandmore.com are printed in response to your order, we cannot honor requests for refunds. It is the plan purchaser's responsibility to verify all lot conditions, measurements, and code requirements prior to ordering and building.
*For information regarding multiple build licenses, please call 1-800-373-2646.
**Additional sets, mirror reverse sets and material lists are only available within 90 days of purchase of the original plan package of the same plan.